twitter




Saturday, June 19, 2010

My Tooth Hurts A Bit.... Help...?

After brushing (I use Sensydine), and after eating cold cereal, my tooth started hurting... as of a few days ago. Why could this be? Not sensitive to heat, tapping or chewing. Just what I described. It has an old filling and my dentist said a small cavity that needs to be redone which I am doing next month. I%26#039;m scared to death here. Been in the chair too much the last 1.5 years... can%26#039;t count. Trying to fix my teeth and pay as I go, using care credit even, and it%26#039;s still hard to get to them all. Any professional advice out there? Thank you.



My Tooth Hurts A Bit.... Help...?

When you have an old filling with failing margins you have a gap between the tooth structure and filling material exposing the dentin beneath the enamel. The dentin is softer and more porous and therefore more sensitive to temperature. It is also more prone to decay. I would guess this is where the sensitivity is coming from. Has your dentist or hygienist recommended a prescription fluoride toothpaste or rinse for you? From what you have said, it may be a good idea to discuss this with them. Also, if your appointment to have that filling done isn%26#039;t in the next week or so you may want to consider moving your appointment up. My concern is that if it goes on too long the tooth may become infected and need root canal therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment